Monday 4 August 2008

Inathoa madoadoa yothe!

I dare say no OMO advert is as memorable as the 'Inatoa madoadoa yote' campaign. Well, that was just one advert. If you remember correctly, there were about four ladies in different ads for the same campaign. I'll paraphrase the bits and pieces I can remember:

The winner:
I call her so because she was the most memorable and melodramatic. By the way she had this wide-eyed look and a thousand Watt smile. What an actress. Unforgettable!
'OMO withi powerfoam is the best! Ndio itakupathia, wath you are looking for. Apenji! Uyu niguo thafuni! This is the dethergent. OMO withi powerfoam. Thry ith.'

Bi Gladys Wakesho alikuwa na haya ya kusema:
(Was that Nimrod Tabu's Voice?)
'Kwanza ninalowa nguo zangu na OMO iliyo na powerfoam, kisha ninazifua pole poooole kwa makiiiiiini, kisha zote zinakua safi. Ziwe ni za manjano au nyeupe, zote zinatakaa. Ukitaka kujua uhondo wa ngoma, ni uingie ucheze, hivyo anayetaka kujua uhondo wa powerfoam, atumie!

Rachel:
'Even the neighbour asked! Were looking at them and saying "wooow!". They said "Rachel! What did you use?". I said "Wooow! OMOOOO! Withi Powerfoam.".'
Announcer: Yes. OMO with powerfoam is the strongest washing powder for the cleanest wash.

Fishmonger:
'Unajua kwa hii biashara, lazima uoge... ung'are... ndio utapata customer. Sio mtu akipita, (wringing her nose) mapua!!... mapua!!...'

I think that campaign would make it into Kenya's (nonexistent) Advertising Hall of Fame.

7 comments:

  1. HaHaaaaa! Great post! Brings back memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I COMPLETELY remember that OMO ad!
    It was such a classic. Just stuck in your head..even some 10 years later!

    That lady's name was Anne Kihara! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Nimrod Tabu was in high school when that advert was made. Anyways just passing by I'm looking for Eldoret Madoadoa ! Umewaona ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. there was this TV commercial for tusker premium "...my style is premium..."
    It was some really nice classical music...it even played in an episode of West Wing...I have tried to find the name of the tune in vain...can anyone help?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still remember this advert I am Bi.Gladys Wakesho

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment