Monday 8 December 2008

GHC

GHC (Geography, History and Civics) in Kenyan Primary Schools kinda sucked. Not only was it boring, it was also too wide. Getting a 40 and above out of 60 was quite an achievement. I wonder how I got by without ever getting to know what was cutting with half of the vast chapters on colonial rule in Africa. Here is a list of some of the people you had to know in and out to pass:

- Lobengula
- Nabongo Mumia
- Kinjikitile Ngwale
- Koitalel arap Samoei
- Masaku
- Lenana and on and on
You had to know about the Khoisan, the Shona and the Ndebele, Leopard's Kopje culture, the Empire of Mone Motapa and the climatic conditions and soils that favour coffee, tea, pyrethrum, cotton, sisal and you still weren't done. You did rubber in Liberia, cocoa in Ghana and fishing in Japan.

I guess it paid off, we learned that the higher you go the cooler it becomes. My most amazing GHC moment was in lower primary when it was revealed to me that we live on and not in the earth!I'd always pictured humanity living happily inside a spherical body but not on it. I was in disbelief and wondered how the people at the bottom of the sphere don't fall off and how the Nile flows 'upwards' from Lake Victoria to the Mediterranean. Thankfully, those were answered and I have since moved on to questions of greater importance, such as why my GHC teacher only had long hair behind her ears.

Homework: What were the four waves of the migration of the Luo into Kenya?

3 comments:

  1. i still cant stop the laughter every time i revisit this blog. it chucks a bundle of stress at work!!!kudos

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2017 and still enjoying these articles

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment