Friday 11 July 2008

All for Ramayan

When I was in class 4 or 5 Ramayan had hit ile mbaya. In school we would talk about Ram's progress in rescuing Sita from Lanka or argue about who was more handsome, Ram or Lakshman. We would even reenact the battle scenes, with imaginary maces and cries of 'Jai Sri Ram' never mind we had no clue what it meant. The music was beautiful, Hanuman was busy flying around and in short, Ramayan was unmissable.

The only problem was that it used to air on Sunday at
around 5pm, the same time I was supposed to go the salon to have my hair braided in readiness for school on Monday.
Just when the signature tune would begin playing (Sita Ram mujareepa kasi baaa baaan...), mathe would ask me to go to the salon. It was unbearable to miss an episode and I had to think fast. I told mathe that I wanted to concentrate on studying and keeping long hair was wasting my time because I had to keep going to the salon. So I suggested getting my hair shaved. Amazed at my love for study, mathe obliged. From then on, I was able to enjoy every episode of Ramayan undisturbed.
Unfortunately, the thing wound up all too soon and I was stuck with trying to grow my hair back for a long long time.

3 comments:

  1. hahaha! i had no idea anyone would enjoy ramayan so much! i especially like the way you remember the tune!! hilarious! :-)
    keep writing! your posts send me on major nostalgic trips!!

    Gypsy

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment